This item has been discontinued and is no longer available. It is listed here for reference only.
The S9 is ResMed's latest design iteration of their excellent flow generator platform. This design is so sleek and user-friendly that it is miles ahead of it's competition. The S9 also offers many new functional advancements to go along with this sleek design. ResMed's new Climate Control incorporates a heated breathing tube with the optional H5i Humidifier's ability to automatically adjust for the ambient temperature and humidity of the environment to enhance comfort and greatly reduce the likelihood of rainout. Like it's predecessor, the S9 also utilizes Easy-Breathe expiratory pressure relief (EPR) to dynamically adjust pressure for maximum comfort. The S9's Easy-Breathe motor technology virtually eliminates noise from the airflow of the machine, resulting in a virtually silent airflow that will have you checking to make sure the machine is turned on. Lastly, the user interface has the ability to display an array of useful daily feedback numbers to the user, such as hours of usage, Apnea-Hypopnea Index (AHI), and leakage rates, which makes it easy for the user to monitor their own therapy.
Features & Benefits
Sleek, User-Friendly Design
Market research has shown that patients do not like the medical look of standard sleep apnea devices. With its sleek contours and compact size, the S9 looks more like an MP3 player or clock radio than a CPAP device. You will be tempted to plug your IPOD into it! Along with the sleek lines, the S9 offers novel user-friendly controls and a large, color display, which makes adjusting the settings easier than ever.
An intuitive interface makes it a breeze to adjust settings and customize levels:
- Turn push dial until the parameter you require is displayed in blue.
- Press push dial. The selection is highlighted in orange.
- Turn push dial until you see the setting that you require.
- Press push dial to confirm your choice.
Enhanced Easy-Breathe Technology with EPR
For the S9, ResMed has further developed EPR (Expiratory Pressure Relief), a technology that senses an exhalation and smoothly drops the pressure slightly to make exhaling more comfortable. This slight pressure drop continues for the duration of the exhale cycle, smoothly rising back to the set pressure when the exhalation cycle has concluded. With a choice of three different EPR comfort levels, the S8 Elite with Easy-Breathe technology allows customized comfort for breathing that feels natural.
Exceptional Quietness with enhanced Easy-Breathe Motor
ResMed has always been known for making quiet air-flow generators, and the latest generation of machines with their patented Easy-Breathe Motor technology have resulted in radiated noise levels (the sound in the room) of 24 dBA*, which is no louder than normal breathing. Plus, conducted noise levels (the noise through the tube) have been further reduced by 78%! The result: a peaceful night's sleep, for both the patient and others in the room.
New H5i Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
The optional H5i heated humidifier delivers market-leading performance. Designed to seamlessly integrate with the S9, the H5i offers relief from dryness and congestion. The Climate Control system employed by the H5i provides protection from rainout (condensation in the mask and breathing tube) and ensures maximum comfort. Climate Control uses an intelligent algorithm that controls the H5i and the ClimateLine™ tube to deliver constant, comfortable temperature and humidity levels during therapy.
While you are sleeping, Climate Control automatically controls:
- Temperature of the delivered air: The temperature sensor located at the mask end of the ClimateLine™ tube monitors the temperature of the air delivered to the patient.
- Humidity level: For each temperature setting, the Climate Control system delivers a constant amount of water vapor, or absolute humidity.
- Rainout: The humidifier and heated tube work in harmony to deliver air at a constant level of humidity and temperature even as the ambient and treatment conditions change.
- Because the system measures temperature at the mask, the temperature you feel will remain at your preferred setting, regardless of changes in ambient temperature or humidity.
** H5i humidifier is available for an additional $159.00.
S9's exclusive ClimateLine™ heated tube
The ClimateLine™ heated tube is the key technology in the Climate Control system. It includes a sensitive heating circuit, which is automatically controlled by the Climate Control algorithm to deliver a constant comfortable temperature at the mask. Located at the mask end of the tube, a sensor measures the temperature of the air leaving the tube. Unique to ResMed, this feature offers complete temperature and comfort control.
With traditional humidification systems, as the temperature in the room drops, so does the temperature of the air inside the tube. At lower temperatures, the amount of water vapor that can be held by the air decreases, and condensation (rainout) can form in the tube. The ClimateLine™ tube maintains the temperature of the air delivered to the patient. This ensures that rainout is avoided even if the temperature in the room drops during the night. By keeping the air temperature in the tube constant, the Climate Control system can automatically adjust to changes in ambient conditions to maintain a constant, comfortable humidity level. Rainout is avoided without needing to reduce the humidity delivered.
Offered with or without the heating circuit, the ClimateLine™ heated tube offers increased flexibility, more sleeping comfort and less mask drag.
** ClimateLine™ heated tube is only available with the H5i heated humidifier.
Mask Fit System
The S9 allows the user to perform a mask seal integrity test as needed to ensure that the mask is sealing properly before therapy begins. The user can select between 3 mask types: Nasal, Nasal Pillows and Full Face, after which they can run the seal integrity test. The test sends a pre-measured level of air pressure to the mask for a period of 3 minutes, after which the user will see a green icon displayed on the machine to indicate a successful test, and a red icon to indicate that adjustments are necessary.
Therapy Monitoring Data
Visible via the user interface, the Sleep Quality Indicator allows patients to view a snapshot of their therapy. Designed to provide daily feedback and encouragement, the Sleep Quality Indicator identifies usage, leak and AHI information. The Sleep Report offers compliance and therapy data for up to 365 days. Data available includes average usage, used hours, days used, run hours and pressure.
The S9 Series is shipped with an SD card inserted. It provides detailed graphical data and high resolution flow data.
The S9 SD card stores:
- 365 days of therapy and compliance data (summary and statistics)
- 30 days of detailed data (graphs)
- 7 days of high resolution flow data
Modes of Operation: CPAP, CPAP w/EPR
Pressure 4 to 20 cm H2O
- Ramp Time 0 to 45 min. (5-min. increments)
- Starting Ramp Pressure 4 up to CPAP pressure; user adjustable
- Dimensions (with Hum) 11.25 L x 6.5 W x 4 H
- Dimensions in Travel Case 14 L x 12 W x 5 H
- Weight (with Hum) 3.4 lbs
- Weight (in Case w/ hum, tubing, etc.) 6.14 lbs
- Filters Disposable Pollen or Hypoallergenic
- Sound Level 24 dBa
- Device Set-Up LCD/Push Dial
- Data Storage Capacity 365 days summary data (up to 500 events per session.)
- Data Storage Content SD Card: 365 days summary data and 30 Days and 7 nights detailed data
- Electrical Requirements 100/240 VAC, 50/60 Hz
- Humidification Integrated Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
- DC Power Use ResMed DC Power Converter cord only (sold separately), 12 VDC
- Warranty 2 Year Manufacturer
Special User Features Auto on/off, mask off alert
What's in the Box:
ResMed S9 Elite™ CPAP unit
- ResMed H5i Integrated Heated Humidifier (extra-cost option)
Canvas Carrying Bag
6-foot ResMed SlimLine™ Breathing Tube
Printed User and Clinician Manuals